Yesterday we told you that police testimony has already revealed everything you need to know to conclude Matthew acted in self-defense. This morning’s testimony revealed everything you need to know to conclude the police were wholly unprepared to invade Matthew’s home, making the situation even more dangerous and unpredictable than it might otherwise have been.
Sgt. Jason VanderWarf testified that officers knocked on Matthew’s door on three occasions but never talked to anyone. A few times they drove by the house without stopping. They also did a criminal background check on Matthew and a query into the driver’s license database and found nothing. They did not look into property records, work records, or even professional license records. They could have easy determined Matthew’s work schedule and confronted him peacefully.
Each of the agents that were in Matthew’s home testified to roughly how many home-invasion style raids they have conducted. The answer has ranged from “more than 100” to “10 to 20” in the last few months. If Matthew’s case is representative of how the Weber Morgan Narcotics Strike Force conducts itself that is hundreds of victims and instances of violence that the police themselves created.
Please help Matthew and donate to his defense.
- Matthew Defended Himself
- The Fight is Not Over
- Matthew gave up hope of justice
- Ogden Police Mistakes Continue
- Defense Seeks Acquittal
- Matthew’s Case Continues to Jury Trial
- A Victim of Police Violence???
- Officers’ failure to prepare made a violent situation even more dangerous
- Day one preliminary summary!
- A Statement from Matthew’s family
- The Long Awaited Preliminary!
- Matthew thought he was being robbed and his life threatened
- Fundraiser to Support Defense Fund
- POW :Protest the violent war on drugs and support Matthew David Stewart
- Stewart supporters gather to support a non-violent drug policy
- Prosecution selectively releases search warrant, others remain sealed
- Accepting Donations Again!
- Defense denied access to Matthew’s home
- Weber County Officials tainting would-be Jurors
- Seeking a Level Field
- Thank you for your Support!
- Dissatisfaction with Police and Prosecution handling of Matthew’s case
- Despite requests to the prosecution for evidence, Stewart’s lawyer has received nothing
- A Tragic Misunderstanding