Police testimony today provided everything you need to know to conclude that Matthew is a victim of police violence and narrowly survived being killed by police.
Agent Derick Draper of the Weber-Morgan Narcotics Strike Force testified today that after he and 8 to 10 other agents beat down Matthew’s door, he proceeded to walk directly behind Agent Grogran down a short, narrow hallway in Matt’s house. No shots from anyone had yet been fired, according to testimony, and cops weren’t even sure if anyone was in the house at this point.
We know in our hearts–and we think that you know also–that had Matthew come to that doorway of that bedroom–even unarmed–that he would have been shot dead in an instant, just like Todd Blair. Todd Blair was shot dead by the same Weber Morgan Narcotics Strike Force agents.
The officers’ testimony continues that Draper and Grogan proceeded to walk down Matthew’s hallway–toward where Matthew had been sleeping just moments before. Having just been startled awake by a break-in, Matthew thought the worst.
Police officer Draper testified that he never saw a person’s face poke out from that doorway, only the muzzle of a gun. He indicated that Matthew wasn’t even aiming his weapon. Based on Matthew’s military training, that is a defensive maneuver used in preventing your assailant from poking out from cover and shooting at you. It is not necessarily an attempt to injure or kill the enemy since you don’t have the target in sight. Draper testified that he fired back at the muzzle of the gun multiple times but never saw a person or a face. He went on record saying he wished he had shot Matthew.
Blindly shooting around a corner at armed assailants who just broke into your home is self-defense.
Today has brought us great hope. Even in the officers’ own words, it’s clear that Matthew’s conduct was in self defense. We’re anxious to see if the system recognizes what is obvious to us–and all of you.
Check back at http://www.helpmatthewstewart.org the next two days for more updates.
As always, this defense needs resources to succeed. Legal resources are very expensive. Please help future generations–and especially Matthew himself–by defending our civil rights and standing with Matthew David Stewart. Please donate.
- Matthew Defended Himself
- The Fight is Not Over
- Matthew gave up hope of justice
- Ogden Police Mistakes Continue
- Defense Seeks Acquittal
- Matthew’s Case Continues to Jury Trial
- A Victim of Police Violence???
- Officers’ failure to prepare made a violent situation even more dangerous
- Day one preliminary summary!
- A Statement from Matthew’s family
- The Long Awaited Preliminary!
- Matthew thought he was being robbed and his life threatened
- Fundraiser to Support Defense Fund
- POW :Protest the violent war on drugs and support Matthew David Stewart
- Stewart supporters gather to support a non-violent drug policy
- Prosecution selectively releases search warrant, others remain sealed
- Accepting Donations Again!
- Defense denied access to Matthew’s home
- Weber County Officials tainting would-be Jurors
- Seeking a Level Field
- Thank you for your Support!
- Dissatisfaction with Police and Prosecution handling of Matthew’s case
- Despite requests to the prosecution for evidence, Stewart’s lawyer has received nothing
- A Tragic Misunderstanding