Matthew’s family has not been allowed inside his home. They have asked authorities if they could go into the home to get their son’s belongings and personal papers, but have been denied. ”We’d like to file his taxes and get his personal papers,” Stewart’s father said, adding that there are many things inside the home that have nothing to do with the alleged crime.
One of Stewart’s defense attorneys, Randy Richards, filed a motion claiming that he has also been denied access to the house for investigative purposes. He said there are a number of items in the house that are important to the Matthew’s case.
In order to sufficiently present his defense, it is important that defendant has access to whatever buildings, materials and possessions the prosecution has and will use to form their case. Access to his property where the incident occurred is essential to the accurate development of the defense’s case.
. . .
It has now been six weeks since the shooting occurred and defense counsel desperately needs access to the home in order to prepare a defense, preserve evidence, take pictures and other investigative testing before time and weather or other factors deteriorate evidence. It is the right of the defendant to conduct his own inspection, examination and testing of the crime scene.
In an effort to further control access to the home, the Weber County Attorney’s Office has filed paperwork seeking to permanently seize Matthew’s home.
- Matthew Defended Himself
- The Fight is Not Over
- Matthew gave up hope of justice
- Ogden Police Mistakes Continue
- Defense Seeks Acquittal
- Matthew’s Case Continues to Jury Trial
- A Victim of Police Violence???
- Officers’ failure to prepare made a violent situation even more dangerous
- Day one preliminary summary!
- A Statement from Matthew’s family
- The Long Awaited Preliminary!
- Matthew thought he was being robbed and his life threatened
- Fundraiser to Support Defense Fund
- POW :Protest the violent war on drugs and support Matthew David Stewart
- Stewart supporters gather to support a non-violent drug policy
- Prosecution selectively releases search warrant, others remain sealed
- Accepting Donations Again!
- Defense denied access to Matthew’s home
- Weber County Officials tainting would-be Jurors
- Seeking a Level Field
- Thank you for your Support!
- Dissatisfaction with Police and Prosecution handling of Matthew’s case
- Despite requests to the prosecution for evidence, Stewart’s lawyer has received nothing
- A Tragic Misunderstanding