Matthew Stewart is an Army Veteran who lives alone and works the graveyard shift at a local Walmart. He sleeps during daylight hours and starts his workday at 10pm. Those who know Matthew regard him as one of the most kind, honest, and caring individuals they know.
In the late evening on January 4th 2012, the Weber-Morgan Narcotics Strike Force served a “knock and announce” search warrant on the home of Matthew Stewart who was sleeping. The strike force broke into the home and began their search. Matthew awoke to the sound of breaking glass and thought that he was being robbed and his life threatened. As a legally armed citizen with military training, his instincts kicked in and he felt forced to defend himself.
A complex gun battle ensued where confusion was met with fear and defense on both sides. As the events unfolded and some clarity could be discerned, a severely wounded Matthew realized these were Police officers and turned himself in to his attackers.
In the end, Officer Jared Francom had been fatally shot, five other officers were wounded, and Matthew Stewart had been shot multiple times. A tragic event that should have never happened.
Matthew Stewart has been charged with one count of aggravated homicide, seven counts of aggravated attempted homicide, and one count of drug manufacturing.
Please help support finding justice for Matthew Stewart.
- Matthew Defended Himself
- The Fight is Not Over
- Matthew gave up hope of justice
- Ogden Police Mistakes Continue
- Defense Seeks Acquittal
- Matthew’s Case Continues to Jury Trial
- A Victim of Police Violence???
- Officers’ failure to prepare made a violent situation even more dangerous
- Day one preliminary summary!
- A Statement from Matthew’s family
- The Long Awaited Preliminary!
- Matthew thought he was being robbed and his life threatened
- Fundraiser to Support Defense Fund
- POW :Protest the violent war on drugs and support Matthew David Stewart
- Stewart supporters gather to support a non-violent drug policy
- Prosecution selectively releases search warrant, others remain sealed
- Accepting Donations Again!
- Defense denied access to Matthew’s home
- Weber County Officials tainting would-be Jurors
- Seeking a Level Field
- Thank you for your Support!
- Dissatisfaction with Police and Prosecution handling of Matthew’s case
- Despite requests to the prosecution for evidence, Stewart’s lawyer has received nothing
- A Tragic Misunderstanding